Monday, March 4, 2013

Mindful Monday: The Mouse and the Shovel

Mindful Monday: On Monday's I'm going to share what's been on my mind. I by no means have any of this figured out, I'm just thinking out loud here.

Random things from the weekend, plus a few other items that jumped into my train of thought.

1. You never know when a snow shovel in the back of your trunk will come in handy.  Let's say you decide to go to an outdoor ice rink but when you get to where you think the rink is located all you see is a snowy field.  If you do a little digging you might find an ice rink covered in 4-6 inches of snow too stiff to skate through.  But if you have a snow shovel in your trunk, you can shovel off a small loop to skate laps on.

2. By the time you finish the loop, you may or may not continue with your intent to shovel out the center.  Suddenly it looks like a rather large area to shovel while wearing skates.  However, a few laps around the loop will make you wish for a larger path.  Or maybe a snowplow instead of a shovel.  Better yet, a Zamboni.
p.s. Zamboni rates right up there on my list of cool-sounding words.
p.p.s. Just like Kleenex is a brand name for facial tissue, Zamboni is a brand of ice resurfacers.  I didn't know that, but maybe you did.

3. The saying, 'once in a blue moon' actually has nothing to do with the moon appearing blue.  Bummer.  When two full moons occur during the same month the second is called a blue moon.  This actually happens once every two to three years.  The next blue moon will occur on July 31st, 2015.

4. Back to the ice skates I mentioned earlier.  In the figure skating world you buy your boots and blades separately.  This pair has been disassembled for roughly 10 years, or whenever I last upgraded.  I didn't want to use my 'new' skates on an outdoor rink, so my dad helped me remount the blades to the boots.  There's a reason you don't do that at home.  It' called center of balance.  Oh well, they still work much better for stroking laps than as closet floor decorations.

5. The gin part of cotton gin comes from the word engine.

6. If you have a dream that you're all cozy and tucked under the blankets but then a mouse crawls across the comforter and scampers across your head, you just might wake up.  And if you wake up, you wonder if you woke up from a bad dream about a mouse or because there actually is a mouse lurking near your pillow.  It can take some convincing to fall back asleep.  Maybe I need a snow shovel under my bed.

Food for Thought: "The secret to joy is to keep seeking God where we doubt He is." -Ann Voskamp


No comments:

Post a Comment