Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tuesday's Twist: Lemon-Ginger Quinoa Soup

Tuesday's Twist:  A basic recipe with a fun twist.  In other words, just another excuse for me to play around with weird recipes I've been dying to try.

 My hands are always cold, always.  Whenever I shake hands with someone there is an 85% chance they will comment on how cold my hands are.  This is followed by a 15% chance that they will continue to hold my hands for an awkwardly long time attempting to warm them up.  Not my thing.  Clearly you're telling me I must make hot bowls of soup more often to warm up those chilly hands.  I like the way you think.

While making this lemon-basil lentil soup last week I couldn't stop thinking about a lemon-ginger soup.  I'm still in a soup mood.  I'm also on a citrus kick, so yes more lemon soup.  What can I say?  Quick and easy plus warm and cozy means eat and repeat.  The lemon-ginger tea I usually drink has a good bite to it.  However, I was a little hesitant with the ginger here, and it didn't come out as strong as I'd have liked.  You know what that means right?  I'll have to make it again, with more ginger.  You know, just to warm up my hands.

Lemon-Ginger Quinoa Soup
inspired by A Sunshiny Day

1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger, or more to taste
3 cups vegetable broth
1/3 cup uncooked quinoa
1 Tbsp dried parsley
1 lemon

* Preheat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; spray with nonstick cooking spray.  Add onion, carrot and celery and saute until softened, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.  Stir in garlic and ginger and saute 1 minute longer.
* Add vegetable broth and quinoa.  Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.  Stir in parsley and the zest and juice from 1/2 of the lemon.  Taste and add additional lemon juice, zest  or ginger if desired.

Food for Thought: "Never trust anyone completely but God. Love people, but put your full trust only in God." -Lawrence Welk

No comments:

Post a Comment