Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Random Recipe Wednesday: Pickled Dill-Caraway Carrots

I should probably warn you now that I'm on a pickling spree.  Those pickled grapes made me conjure up a whole list of odd things to pickle.  But let's make carrots first, I don't want to get too crazy on you quite yet.


Our pickling possibilities are endless.  In addition to various vegetables, a few fruits and some other odds and ends, we can mix and match our herbs and spices.  There's also a variety of vinegars to experiment with.  For once I can't seem to work in peanut butter, popcorn or cookies.  I'll have to work on that.


Oh, I also managed to pickle the bottom shelf of the refrigerator followed by the produce drawer and kitchen floor as I spilled pickling brine all over.  On three separate occasions.  Three.  All I can say is, use a container that has a tight fitting lid, not a random disposable container with a mismatched almost-fitting lid.


In this version I used distilled white vinegar but white wine vinegar would also work well.   Originally I wanted to make pickled carrots and ginger, but the depths of my spice cupboard began to call to me.  Clearly the (unopened impulsively purchased clearance jar of) whole dill seeds were put to good use here.  Fresh dill or dried dill weed are also options.  After discovering how much I like the pairing of dill and caraway I decided to add whole caraway seeds.  I was hoping for a bit more flavor, but now I know for next time to add a touch more of each seasoning.  In addition, I learned that salty pickle brine wiped off of the kitchen floor definitely stings any open cuts.  Yep, it's definitely been a learning kind of week.  And it's only Wednesday.



Dill-Caraway Pickled Carrots

Ingredients:
1/2 lb peeled carrots, cut into thin matchsticks or thinly shaved
3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
3/4 cup water
1-1/2 tsp whole dill seeds
1 tsp whole caraway seeds
1 tsp whole mustard seeds
1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns
1 clove garlic, peeled
1 Tbsp kosher salt
2 tsp sugar

Instructions:
* Place carrots in a heatproof container or jar.
* In a small saucepan combine vinegar, water, dill, caraway, mustard seed, peppercorns, garlic, salt and sugar.  Bring to a boil, stirring until salt and sugar are dissolved.  Boil 2-3 minutes; pour hot liquid and seasonings over prepared carrots. Let cool to room temperature before covering tightly and transferring to the refrigerator.  Let stand 24 hours or longer.  Assuming you don't spill the entire container on the floor, you should be able to Store in the refrigerator for several weeks.


Food for Thought: "The only way that we can live is if we grow. The only way that we can grow is if we change.  The only way that we can change is if we learn. The only way we can learn is if we are exposed. And the only way that we can become exposed is if we throw ourselves out into the open. Do it. Throw yourself." -C. JoyBell C.

No comments:

Post a Comment