Friday, July 20, 2012

Fermented Friday: Beer Hummus with Beer Rye Crackers

Fermented Friday: recipes featuring yeast, wine, beer or some form of fermentation


The hoppy bitterness of an IPA is less than ideal for cooking or baking.  Yet somehow, an IPA found its way off the shelf and into my six pack mix.  An IPA is also not the first thing I would pick to drink.  If we cross off cooking, baking and drinking this IPA, then what's left?  Marinating fruit doesn't require cooking or baking, but I've done that (twice) in the past few weeks.  Hmmmm, it has been a while since I've made any dips or spreads....let's make hummus. Beer hummus.


 And while we're at it, let's just make beer crackers too.



 I know, I know, I said IPA's don't mix with baking. But the IPA I had was a Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye and I've been meaning to make rye crackers for quite a while. I just couldn't resist.


 This is not your typical hummus for a couple of reasons.  First off, the beer.  If beer's not your thing, then don't make this hummus.  Initial chickpea flavor is quickly replaced by strong beer notes followed by a distinct IPA bitterness.  It's different, but I like it. I have to admit the bitterness grew on me.  If you're not up for the bitterness feel free to try a different beer.


 When making hummus for myself, I usually leave out the oil (old habits die hard).  If I have tahini on hand I may or may not throw some in.  For this hummus I chose to leave out both the oil and tahini.  Instead of thinning out the beans with oil, we use beer.  The texture isn't quite like traditional hummus, but if you process everything until it's light and fluffy you may find a new favorite. If you find it's not your thing, then feel free to try adding a little olive oil or tahini.

  
 The best part about making your own hummus is the control it gives you. Ingredients, flavor, texture; you decide. If you want your hummus a little thicker, use less beer.  If you want it a little thinner, use more beer. I made one batch with chickpeas I cooked myself and another batch with canned chickpeas.  You'll need a little more beer if you use canned chickpeas.

 
 The hummus had a strong beer flavor, but you'd never know there was beer in the crackers.  It turns out baking with IPA won't give you extra bitter crackers.  Sometimes you just have to try things for yourself.  These crackers had a subtle rye flavor, but they really just reminded me of your typical wheat cracker; crisp, salty and perfect for dipping.


There's more I could tell you about the beer, the hummus and the crackers, but it's a beautiful summer day. Let's just leave it at that and enjoy the weather while it lasts.


Beer Hummus

Ingredients:
1 small garlic clove
1 (15.5 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 1-1/2 cups cooked chickpeas)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup + 1-2 Tbsp beer* (I used Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA)
1/4 tsp sriracha hot chili pepper sauce
pinch paprika

*The exact amount of beer needed depends on personal preference for hummus consistency.  Use less beer for thicker hummus and more beer for thinner hummus.  Less beer is needed when using fresh chickpeas and more beer is needed if using canned chickpeas.

Instructions:
*Place garlic clove in a a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
* Add chickpeas, lemon juice, salt, 1/4 cup beer, sriracha and paprika.  Process 2-3 minutes or until smooth, scraping down sides as needed.  While processing, add an additional 1-2 tablespoons beer to reach desired consistency. Serve immediately or refrigerate to develop flavors.


Beer Rye Crackers
inspired by herbivoracious

Ingredients:
1/2 cup rye flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt, plus more for sprinkling
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp beer (I used Sierra Neveada Ruthless Rye IPA)
1 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for brushing

Instructions:
* In a small bowl, mix rye flour, all-purpose flour, salt, beer and olive oil until combined.
* Turn dough onto floured surface and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. Wrap in plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
* Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
*On parchment paper, roll out dough to 1/16-inch thickness or as thin as possible. Transfer parchment and rolled dough to baking sheet.
* Brush with additional olive oil and sprinkle with additional salt. Using a pizza cutter or knife, cut dough into cracker-sized squares.
* Bake 10-15 minutes or until light golden brown.  Let cool and break apart if  needed.  Store in airtight container.



Food for Thought: "Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is lead astray by them is not wise." -Proverbs 20:1

No comments:

Post a Comment