Monday, July 9, 2012

Mindful Monday: Annoying Habits

Mindful Monday: On Monday's I'm going to share what's been on my mind. I by no means have any of this figured out, I'm just thinking out loud here.


Side note: It has been brought to my attention that comments may not be appearing for those of you who wish to leave them.  I have published all comments that have been submitted.  If you have tried to leave a comment and it hasn't appeared then I never received it.  If this happened to you, let me know the details via email (see contact page) and I'll work on it. Thanks!



Everyone has their own habits and mannerisms that make them who they are.  I'm sure you can think of a person whose habits annoy you.  You know, that one thing they do that drives you crazy.  I've realized that when something a person does drives me crazy there's often a pretty good chance I do the exact same thing.  Ouch.

The first time I was aware of this I was getting pretty annoyed with a person who continued to interrupt me halfway through every sentence.  I complained to another person about the situation (another bad habit) and realized I was interrupting them.  I was doing the very thing I was complaining about someone doing to me.  And it wasn't just a one time thing.  When I stepped back to look at the situation, I realized it happened all the time.

Now, when I come across a habit that annoys me, I try to step back and see if it's also a habit I have. It's really not about the other person, it's about them triggering a dislike I have about myself. It annoys me because it touches a raw nerve and hits too close to home.

Realizing this it makes it easier for me to be understanding and patient in certain situations. When the said person is doing what annoys me, I think of times I have done the same thing to others.  I also think of how patient the other person was with me in either overlooking my habit or gently redirecting me.

Little annoyances can be great reminders of what I need to work on in my own life.  Ideally I would catch these things before I got annoyed with another person. I'll have to work on that.

While I can't speak for anyone else, I'm guessing a few others may find this concept true as well.  I'm pretty sure it's something we all struggle with at one point or another.  There's even a few Bible verses related to the issue.  "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." -Matthew 7:3-5

Disclaimer: This is in no way a reflection of  any recent events or interactions.  I came across this realization quite a while ago.  Please do not over-analyze or think I am talking about you.  I couldn't think of another topic for today's post and figured this would work. Do NOT take it personally :) 

Food for Thought: "Never get tired of doing little things for others, sometimes those little things occupy the biggest part of their hearts." -unknown


No comments:

Post a Comment