Thursday, July 26, 2012

Thursday's Thoughts: Curiosity Transfer

Thursday's Thoughts: a taste of what I'm thinking


When it comes to a new food technique, concept or recipe, curiosity will get me every time.  I'm also a sucker for the recipes claiming to have a secret ingredient.  Most of the time I can guess the secret ingredient in my sleep, but more often than not I click and keep reading just in case.  It's like I don't want to miss out on something new and exciting.

Or maybe it's my rebellious side unleashing itself via creativity.  In general, I was the kid who followed all the rules, stayed in the lines and didn't rock the boat.  As a people pleaser and perfectionist, the black and white rules of math, science and logic were my safety nets.  But then there's the side of me just itching to break the rules and touch the paint to make sure it's really wet.  Give me a crazy flavor combination or a weird concept and I just have to try it for myself.

Breaking the rules with food is a fun adventure to me.  Understanding the science behind the food helps  prevent disappointments, but it doesn't eliminate them altogether. Curiosity and excitement of the unknown drive me to try new things.

If only I could transfer that to the rest of life.

Lately I've been more anxious about the unknowns in life.  I get worried and impatient in regards to where I think I should be in life right now.  If I replaced fear of the unknown future with curiosity, life would be a lot more enjoyable.  I've prayed a lot about where I'm supposed to be both right now and in the future.  Unfortunately, I haven't nailed down the trust and patience aspects.  God is giving me answers and direction, but they make me wonder and want to say "hey, that's not how my plan went."

It takes conscious effort on my part to remind myself that His plan is infinitely better than mine.  There's no need to fear the future; God's got it all figured out.  It's so easy for me to fall into the pattern of worry based on my limited perspective.  Fear of the unknown holds me back.  Curiosity and excitement drive me forward.  What's in store for me next? I don't know, but I choose to be curious!

Food for Thought: "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." -Philippians 4:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment