Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Weird Recipe Wednesday: Blue Cheese-Stuffed Strawberries with Balsamic Drizzle


Weird Recipe Wednesday: Because some recipes are so weird I just HAVE to try them.  My curiosity always gets the better of me.

The 4th of July seemed like a perfect time to try out this red, white and blue recipe.  These little appetizers put a savory spin on the traditional stuffed strawberry.  I came across the concept in the latest issue of Healthy Cooking.  You already know I'm on board with the balsamic vinegar  trend. I'm pretty much addicted to strawberries and I have a thing for blue cheese (umm, hello....it's blue).


Sweet berries are filled with a tart mixture of Greek yogurt and blue cheese. The sharp, creamy filling provides savory contrast to juicy strawberries.  A tangy balsamic reduction is drizzled over the top to tie it all together.  


While I've always loved strawberries, blue cheese didn't have any appeal until a few years ago. If you try it in the right combination you just might change your mind too.  The same goes for balsamic vinegar.  That being said, this wasn't my favorite combination.  Strawberries and blue cheese are often paired in salads so this really isn't too far of a stretch flavor-wise.  I'm not sure why this one didn't grab me, maybe a texture thing.  But don't let my opinion stop you from trying it; make your own call.  Happy 4th of July!

Blue Cheese-Stuffed Strawberries with Balsamic Drizzle
adapted from Healthy Cooking

Ingredients:
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
8 medium strawberries
3 Tbsp fat-free plain Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp (1 oz) crumbled blue cheese

Instructions:
* In a small saucepan, bring balsamic vinegar to a boil.  Cook until reduced by half; let cool to room temperature.
* Wash strawberries and pat dry.  Remove stem and core from each berry.
* In a small bowl, combine Greek yogurt and blue cheese. Fill berries evenly with cheese mixture.  Refrigerate until serving. Drizzle with balsamic reduction.

Food for Thought: "God changes caterpillars into butterflies, sand into pearls and coal into diamonds using time and pressure. He's working on you too" -Rick Warren

No comments:

Post a Comment