Thursday, May 9, 2013

Flashback Friday: Tidbits From an Old Cookbook

Flashback Friday: Revisiting a recipe from long ago

Last week I paged through one of my grandma's old church cookbooks, hoping to find recipes she'd written on.  Along with your typical church cookbook recipes were quotes and recipes for life, kind of like my "Food for Thought" at the end of each post.  This one made me smile.


Measure: 3 c. flour into large bowl; answer telephone; take large bowl off small son's head; sweep up flour.
Measure: 3 c. flour into large bowl. Measure 1/4 c. shortening; answer door bell; wash shortening from son's hands and face.
Add: 1/4 c. shortening to flour.  Mix well; rock crying baby for 10 minutes.
Answer: telephone.  Put son in tub and scrub well.  Scrape flour and shortening mixture from floor, add enough tears to relieve tension.
Open: 1 can of beans and serve with remaining strength.

As I paged through the book looking for family recipes I couldn't help but notice the names of the other contributors.  Names come and go just like fashion trends.  Here are some of ones that stood out to me.
Alberta
Alvera
Ethel
Evalyn/Evelyn
Fern
Florence
Gladys
Genevieve
Gertrude
Glenny
Glyn
Inez
Lela
Lorna
Mabel
Meron
Mildred
Nelda
Norma
Olive
Roberta
Velma
Vernita

I'm not sure why I found that so interesting, maybe because I never look at the names in cookbooks. Though I didn't find any recipes submitted by my grandma I did find a few from other family members.  Now if I can just find some time (this weekend?) to make them before my name is associated with an old lady cookbook.

Food for Thought: "Life is fragile- handle it with prayer." -anonymous quote from above cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment