Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Random Recipe Wednesday: Savory Orange Hummus



I made this hummus, oh I don't know...a month ago (?) but am just now getting around to sharing it with you.  Don't worry, it's actually long gone; I wouldn't feed you month-old hummus. Sometimes I won't even share my hummus.  This way I can share it with you without really having to share it.  I know.


Once again I was intrigued by the spice blend in a recipe and decided to give the unique combination a whirl.  Of course I ended up my with own variation to suit what I had on hand, but the basic flavor concept of this hummus came from a cookbook in the Moosewood series.  There's plenty of punch from the garlic and lots of citrusy orange goodness, plus a zing from the apple cider vinegar and a whole lot of other spice interaction going on.  In other words, I can't really remember and don't have any left to snack on as I write this.


On another note, I'm considerably distracted by the ants that keep crawling over my keyboard.  And up my back.  But boy is it good to get some fresh air through those windows.  I need to figure out where exactly these new friends are coming from.  So right, yes, I made this savory orange bean dip and enjoyed it.  Note to self: make hummus more often (and get out the ant traps, warmer temperatures have arrived.)


Savory Orange Hummus
inspired by this cookbook

Ingredients:
2 small or medium garlic cloves
2 green onions, chopped (white and green parts)
2 oranges
1 (15.5 ounce) can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
1 Tbsp + 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 tsp salt (I actually used 1 tsp, but thought it was too salty)
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp paprika
2 Tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp agave nectar (or other sweetener, to taste)

Instructions:
* In the bowl of a food processor pulse garlic cloves until finely chopped. Add chopped green onions and pulse several times more. Finely grate the peel from the oranges into the bowl of the food processor. Squeeze the juice from the oranges and set aside.
* Add garbanzo beans, cider vinegar, salt, cumin, coriander, ginger, mustard, turmeric, paprika, peanut butter and agave.  Process until smooth, adding enough of the reserved orange juice to reach desired consistency (add water if you don't have enough orange juice).  Cover and chill several hours, allowing flavors to develop.  Taste and add more salt or sweetener, if desired. Serve with fresh vegetables such as broccoli and bell pepper, or use as a sandwich spread.


Food for Thought: "Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." -Confucius 

No comments:

Post a Comment