Friday, May 31, 2013

Flashback Friday: A Taste of Great-Grandma's Recipes

Flashback Friday: Revisiting a recipe from long ago

I'm super excited about the recipes Alvina shared with me during my visit to her farm.  The stained and tattered old notepad belonged to her mother, my great-grandmother.  Contained on these now yellowed and brittle pages are her best recipes.  I can hardly wait to go through them all.  In fact, I'm so excited I've just got to share a few of them with you now.  Here's a taste of what one might find in Great-Grandma Caroline's kitchen.

Her notepad contains handwritten recipes for everything from pies...


...to pickles...


...to perpetual yeast (sourdough)...


She even wrote down ingredients for cement wash and spray for the hen house.


Spots and splatters are indications of a well-used recipe.


Some pages are half missing, but most are quite readable.


What stories they must tell.  Who is the Mrs. Thompson behind Mrs. Thompson's Raised Doughnuts?


What about Ruth or Mrs. Alton, whose brown sugar cookies appear on several pages?  Are Mama's White Cookies my great-great grandmother's?  How I would love to sit down at the kitchen table and hear the stories behind each recipe.


We'll dig more into each recipe in the coming weeks. Thanks for listening as I share my excitement! 

Food for Thought: "We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self may prove to be." -May Sarton

No comments:

Post a Comment