Monday, January 14, 2013

Mindful Monday: Unexpected Reminders


Mindful Monday: On Monday's I'm going to share what's been on my mind. I by no means have any of this figured out, I'm just thinking out loud here.

Disappointment, failure, mistakes, rejection, all of these are a natural part of life.  As I mentioned in this post, I'm trying to be mindful of gratitude.  We are instructed to, "be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances" (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).  I recently had a series of letdowns, but having just read One Thousand Gifts I was challenged to find a way to be thankful for the disappointments. 

Before I spent too much time wallowing in self-pity and doubt (though I admit there was some of that too), I chose to be thankful for these situations.  That doesn't necessarily mean I feel good about the circumstances, but I am thankful for the lessons they hold.  

This series of not-so-pleasant-happenings lead me to realize I was trying to please others and looking for their approval (insert broken record).  In addition to the opinion of others I was also seeking satisfaction from my own achievements.  None of these things will ultimately satisfy.  These letdowns were reminders that I was seeking the wrong thing.  I'm thankful for the circumstances because they served to point me back to Truth.  My worth and value are not tied to accomplishments or the opinions of others.  God loves me just as I am.  Only He will satisfy.  Only He will never disappoint.  I am thankful for these reminders, regardless of the circumstance.

Food for Thought: "For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God?" Galatians 1:10

No comments:

Post a Comment