Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Weird Recipe Wednesday: Veggie Noodles with Citrusy Dill Dressing

Weird Recipe Wednesday: Because some recipes are so weird I just HAVE to try them.  My curiosity always gets the better of me.


I've tried on more than one occasion to convince myself I like spaghetti squash. It's okay sometimes (despite this adventure), but I'm just not that into it.  It certainly doesn't taste like spaghetti, but then again, I've never been into spaghetti either.  I wouldn't eat anything tomato-based growing up, including spaghetti, lasagna or ketchup.  Thank goodness I grew out of that phase.  However, I'm still not a huge pasta eater.   Vegetables, on the other hand, I will gobble up like there's no tomorrow (you know, to balance all the cookies, peanut butter and chocolate).


Noodles made out of carrots and zucchini are right up my alley.  Do they taste like pasta?  No, and they're not supposed to.  However, they are just as much fun to twirl on your fork.  Weigh in the fun-color-factor and you have twice as much fun, at least.  Added nutrition isn't a bad bonus either.  If you're not into fun colors and playing with your food you can peel the zucchini first or use yellow summer squash. Or just stick to plain old pasta, booorrring.


A good vegetable peeler is essential here.  My old one would have given me short little shreds, it was pretty dull and worthless.  I really like the new Y-shaped peeler I got.  It makes the peeling effortless, definitely worth the investment.  Oh how I wish I'd had this peeler when I made these Spiraled Zucchini-Carrot Rolls.


I was in the mood for something citrus and had dill on the brain as well.  I stirred up a citrus-dill dressing for these colorful ribbons.  Nothing fancy and not over-the-top, but it fit my mood.  I've also eaten these noodles with a creamy sauce and will probably go that route for lunch tomorrow.  Hmm or maybe a peanut-sesame sauce or garlic-ginger along with a pair of chop sticks.  Use whatever sauce and utensils up your fun factor, twirling is not optional.


Carrot and Zucchini Noodles with Citrus-Dill Dressing

Ingredients:

Noodles:
1 medium zucchini
2 large carrots, peeled

Dressing:
2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp honey
1/4 tsp freshly grated orange peel
1/4 tsp freshly grated lemon peel
1/4 tsp dried dill weed
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
* In a small bowl whisk together dressing ingredients, set aside.
* Wash zucchini and carrots.  Using a sharp, Y-shaped vegetable peeler, shred zucchini and carrots lengthwise into long, thin strips.  Rotate the vegetables as you peel so the noodles aren't too wide.  Peel as much of the vegetables as possible, discarding seeded core of zucchini.
* Preheat large nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Spray skillet with nonstick spray and add vegetable noodles. Saute 3 minutes, tossing with tongs or gently pushing with a spatula.  Add dressing and saute 1 to 2 minutes longer or until soft. Serve immediately.


Food for Thought: "People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing." -Dale Carnegie

No comments:

Post a Comment