Thursday's Thoughts: a taste of what I'm thinking
It's time to learn some more random food words. And no, I did not make up that first one, it sure made me laugh though.
1. beefalo- a cross between cattle and bison (buffalo). The meat is dark red with a slightly stronger flavor than beef.
2. opah- also known as a moonfish, this marine water fish can reach 200 pounds.
3. natto- soybeans that have been steamed, mashed, and fermented. With a cheeselike flavor and glutinous texture, it is a popular condiment in Japan where it is served over rice for breakfast.
4. isinglass- a form of gelatin derived from the air bladders of certain fish. While rarely used today, it was commonly used 100 years ago to clarify wine and thicken jelly.
5. fleuron- a tiny piece of puff pastry in the shape of a crescent that is used as a garnish.
6. flummery- a pudding made of stewed fruit and thickened with cornstarch.
7. ceriman- also known as the monstera this fruit resembles a narrow, foot-long pine cone. The scales pop off as the fruit ripens. Smooth and creamy like a firm custard, this fruit has hints of pineapple and banana.
8. ayran- a non-sweetened yogurt drink popular in the Middle East. While generally a blend of plain yogurt, water, and salt, some variations include garlic or mint.
source: Food Lover's Companion
Food for Thought: "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith- and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God- not by works, so that no one can boast." -Ephesians 2:8-9