Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Tuesday's Twist: Black-Eyed Pea Salsa

Tuesday's Twist:  A basic recipe with a fun twist.  In other words, just another excuse for me to play around with weird recipes I've been dying to try.


Eating black-eyed peas is a long-standing tradition for New Year's Day.  Some trace the good luck tradition all the way back to 500 A.D. and the Jewish New Year.  Others attribute the tradition to the Civil War era. (source)  I wasn't alive for either, so I guess I missed the memo.  I picked up a can at the store, imagining this might be the year I might participate in the tradition.  A new year and new foods.  How have I never eaten black-eyed peas?


 Well, that can of black-spotted beans sat in the pantry, paying no regard to my good intentions.  Apparently those little black eyes couldn't see that the calender read January 1st.  Probably because the new calendar wasn't up yet, details, details.  Anyway, a week later I got around to using these lucky beans.  I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do with them, but eventually decided to stir up some salsa to munch on.  


The smokey, fire-roasted diced tomatoes mellow the rather earthy flavor of black-eyed peas.  Caramelized onions add savory notes without being overpowering.  Green onions provide a touch of color, well that and they were nearing their end of residence in my vegetable drawer.


Black-Eyed Pea Salsa

Ingredients:
1/2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (15 oz) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes**
3 green onions, thinly sliced

** Be sure to use the fire-roasted variety, which has a slightly smoky flavor.  Your salsa my be rather bland if you use regular diced tomatoes.

Instructions:
* In a medium skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute until onions are golden and caramelized, about 15 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes longer. Let cool to room temperature.
* Meanwhile, combine black-eyed peas, tomatoes and green onions. Stir in onion mixture and chill several hours to develop flavors.

Food for Thought: "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 comments:

  1. Whenever I buy canned tomatoes I always gravitate towards the fire roasted ones, they add so much depth to any recipe. I love the addition of caramelized onions to this salsa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the fire-roasted ones on sale and stocked up. I keep saving them for...something special. Then I realized I just need to use them, so into the salsa they went.

      Delete